Thursday, December 9, 2010

Painting in the snow

On the positive side , this recent Arctic weather has provided amazing opportunities for painting en plein air. It is something I have done a lot of, even in near zero temperatures. On with the thermal underwear, the furry hat , the fingerless mittens and six layers of clothes and off one goes.

What could be more enchanting than to stand painting in splendid isolation, listening to the sound of silence. On a crystal clear day, the colours are amazing. The white of the snow is a myriad of colours- pinks blues, purples. How does one capture it?

It most certainly isn't for the faint hearted. I can well remember painting in Scotland once, during the worst winter in living memory. I was working in gouache and suddenly felt the paint was becoming difficult to manipulate, only to realise my medium was turning to ice on the surface of the board. It certainly gave some interesting effects when I took it back to the warmth of my cottage and the painting thawed out!

Here's one I did earlier!




The Abbey Gardens, Bury St. Edmunds. Oils 40" x 30"

No comments: