Friday, July 5, 2013

Exhibition at Brancaster Staithe

Last weekend, along with some students and friends, I took part in an exhibition at Brancaster Staithe on the North Norfolk coast. Having grown up beside the sea, it was good to get back to vast skies and the smell of salt air. The mud flats are very different from the sandy beaches of Scotland where I grew up, but they have a charm of their own and I do love painting them.

My task for the day, however,  was not painting en plein air, but to demonstrate portrait painting. It is much more fun than sitting behind a desk smiling endlessly at customers and potential purchasers! I decided as a challenge to paint two portraits in tandem. That way I don't fiddle around and come back to each painting with a fresh eye.

Both paintings were done in oils on canvas . Size 18" x 14". Stained with raw umber.

Each took around two hours, in between drinking tea and chatting to interested onlookers. All in all, a most enjoyable day


 
 
Pauline
 
 


                                                                            Mary
 

No comments: